In this tutorial, you will learn some techniques to make an awesome navigation bar.Along with the techniques and basic walkthrough comes the .PSD of this navigation bar to view all of the layer effects that I used and that were too numerous to take screenshots of each one (15+).
(Download the .PSD)
1. Start out with a blank canvas with a dark grey background (640x80 pixels). Create a new layer and using the Polygonal Lasoo Tool (A), draw the basic shape of the front nav bar and fill it in with a lighter grey (B).
2. Add blending effects by double clicking on the layer. I do not have screenshots for the specific blending effects I used because I included the .PSD.
3. Draw out a box under the first layer and fill it with a grey color.
.4. Add the following layer effects to this 'Under Layer'.
5. Insert some indents over these two layers to seperate different menu items. To learn how to do this, visit my Indents tutorial.
6. Make an indent and then duplicate it. You can speed this process up by duplicating the layer and then merging the layers (Ctrl + E).
7. Draw out a rounded rectangle (B) using the Rounded Rectangle Tool (A).
8. Add these layer effects.
9. Add text and you're done (A). You can add a Color Balance layer on top of your image to give it some cool color (B).
The font that I used is available for download.
- Content Box
- LCD screen